Sometimes I think we all like to indulge with a sweet breakfast whether its pancakes, waffles or my favorite, french toast. With this recipe I wanted to show you that we can still eat the foods we love while being mindful of staying healthy or working around our food allergies. So, this recipe is a gluten free french toast that can be modified to be paleo friendly or dairy free depending on whether you choose to use butter or ghee. There’s no sugar added besides for whatever you choose to top your French toast with. I hope you enjoy and let me know how it goes for you!
The recipe makes 6 pieces of toast
2 eggs (farm fresh preferably)
2/3 cup coconut milk or almond milk unsweetened (Plain or Vanilla your choice)
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (even better if you can get fresh cinnamon sticks & grate them)
1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract (or vanilla beans if you have them!)
6 slices of your favorite gluten free bread (we like Udi’s whole grain)
Grass fed butter (we like Kerry Gold brand) -if you’re following the paleo friendly version OR
Ghee (clarified butter) -if you want a lactose & casein free version (essentially dairy free)
Topping suggestions- sliced fruit, honey or if you want to indulge organic pure maple syrup
It may sound weird but my family likes a pinch of Himalayan pink salt on the French toast for the sweet & salty effect
Skillet that can hold 2 pieces of bread (no Teflon please!)
Wire rack (with pan or newspaper underneath to catch excess custard)
Pizza pan with holes
1. Take your pieces of bread and toast them up on a very low setting in your toaster (this helps the bread soak up the custard while maintaining its structure)
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, spices and vanilla in a large bowl
3. Soak the bread in your custard mix for about 30 sec. on each side, then lay on top of wire rack with newspaper or a pan underneath to catch the excess custard
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees f
5. Heat skillet on medium to low heat & grease pan with butter or ghee
6. Cook two French toasts in skillet (about 2 min. on each side), then place onto pizza pan with holes in it
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 with remaining 4 pieces of bread. If you have extra custard feel free to spoon it on top of the breads while cooking on the skillet.
8. When all 6 breads have been cooked in the skillet and placed on the pizza pan put the pizza pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Add your toppings & enjoy!